Friday, July 13, 2012

Early Bird..literally

I got up a little earlier today so that I had some time to water my balcony garden..fingers crossed two more cantaloupe will make it. At the risk of sounding corny....I think that sometimes we are given little pleasures from God because he knows what we like. We just have to recognize them as such.

Remember when I was so enthralled with the little birds that had a nest tucked inside my zucchini planter barrel?  And the day I went to finally try to take a picture before they all flew ?...and they were already gone?

Well I happened to notice the other day what looked like the makings of a bird's nest starting in one of my hanging flowers right at eye level.  I was gitty with anticipation that there may be another nest I can watch progress from empty to eggs, to tiny birds (possibly)...to empty again.  This time I caught the early bird!! I was out there watering and glanced over at the hanging flowers that I knew had a nest in it and there she was, a female cardinal...she didn't move at all, trying to be inconspicuous for sure. But I saw her and a big grin came across my face.  I noticed a male cardinal in a tree nearby as well so based on that and the google images I looked up for cardinals, she is a female cardinal tending to her nest.  I am guessing she is in the process of laying her eggs, otherwise I am not so sure she would have been that bold to not budge.

See her?.... She is smack center where all 4 strands start to come together. Her beak is orange and she is sitting so as to see a side view of her (beak facing left). I took this photo inside the screen door while I was hiding behind the wall. 

I think it is so cool that this is all going to be at eye level.  Of course I did not bother trying to water that plant today, but if I see the nest empty later on this evening before sundown I will try to water it a little. With the temperatures getting up to the 90's, can't let the watering go more than a day or so.

Well I am going to start getting to work now.  But what a nice way to start my Friday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment