Friday, September 10, 2010

Oops....

I have been missing blogging this month and so for that I apologize to those of you who visit hoping to catch a snippet of what is new with me...

Before I go any further I want to wish my youngest a Happy Birthday tomorrow!! (a bit early).  It is always a little tough for her having a birthday on 9-11 when everyone is somber and reverent for what happened that day years ago.  My own brother was in the World Trade Center that morning but had left there about 15 minutes before the first plane hit.  So anyway.. Happy Birthday!!!  Hope you have a great day Stac!

We had a garage sale last weekend and got a decent amount of stuff sold but still have quite a bit left.  A neighbor came over and said she and a few others were going to have one in November so we boxed up what didn't sell so we can participate then too. We may sell more of the small things we have left since it will be the holiday season and some may be looking for gifts or stocking stuffers.

We had some gowns that my oldest had worn for either pageants or proms and they didn't sell and when I told her we'd try again in November she asked me to save them as she wanted to donate them to a charity she found out about that takes prom dresses/formals and provides them to needy teens who cannot afford prom dresses. How thoughtful!  So I am saving them for her to donate.  I'd actually much rather do that anyway than have someone trying to chew me down to $3.00 for a beautiful gown that cost us upwards of $100 or more!

There were some folks at the garage sale that were down right rude in what they wanted us to take. I understand there is some negotiation at garage sales but we had a really nice floor lamp at $30 and someone offered $10.  Sorry, nope!  I'd rather keep it or give it to charity!  I would never be that insulting!  I mean I expected someone to ask if we would take $27 or $25..but not that low. We had a microwave for sale that we had $30 on.  There was a couple who were genuinely interested in it. It was not used a lot and I had cleaned it up and it looked practically new. We plugged it in and heated some water in it to show them it worked. The man asked if we'd take any less and I told the man we'd take $25 for it and then he wanted to go down to $20 for it.  We stood our ground and said no.  Again, I'd rather keep it as a spare for our spare, than 'give it away'.   We did have some very nice folks who just paid the price that we had on items and I thanked those folks a lot more cheerfully than those that tried to push for lower and lower prices. We already had things marked low. 

Anyway, hubby decided to hold it Sunday and part of Monday too but I'm not sure that was worth it much.  By the time Monday was over I was exhausted.  What is it about garage sales that makes one so tired afterwards?!  I don't know.

Even though I am working this weekend we are having company for dinner and I am really looking forward to it. We rarely get together with anyone, not that we don't want to, just not a lot of time to make friends with how much I work.  Going to make my crock pot meatloaf...

....nite...

No comments:

Post a Comment