Saturday, May 21, 2011

~ Phew! ~

Was just sweating out a tornado watch.  Luckily the storm passed through just to the north of us and I am very good at storm tracking right to our street since I have spotted exactly where we live on the Interactive weather map. We did hear non-stop thunder though for about a half hour earlier.  Then I was getting a little worried and stopped working and shut down my main computer.

Now all alerts for this area are over and frankly I don't think we even got much but a spattering of rain.

Let's see ..I know it has been way too long since I blogged.  For a while my work was slow and so I was taking a lot of walks and now it is getting busy, so I haven't had as much time to blog.

I DID find out something wonderful yesterday!!  I had been holding off on getting my mammogram which was due last October (well that was my one year since prior one).  I wanted to avoid going to the doctor, having that extra expense just to get a script for the mammogram.  But last month I realized I was 6 months overdue. Okay fast forward....went to the doctor last week and got my mammogram finally yesterday morning.  Here's the great news which I wish I had known YEARS ago.

I asked the place that did the mammogram if I absolutely HAD to go to a doctor first and get a script for a mammogram or could I just get one.  I was thrilled to find out as long as I'm over 40...yes the guy telling me the criteria was being kind... and not on medicare/medicaid and the doctor that I choose to send reports to does not require me to have an appointment first, I CAN they called it 'self-diagnose' to have my own mammograms. He checked on his 'list' my doctor's name and said I'm good to go. So next year when it is time I will just make my appointment and skip the worthless visit (and bill).  Wish I had known that before and I would not have waited so long.  Fingers crossed as always that there will be no results from this mammogram.

I have to say that I am very pleased since I went on my 'get even heathier' push. I have been walking nearly every day, eating healthy and did just start taking added Calcium/Vitamin D as I asked my doctor whether I should as I don't take any extra calcium and I don't wish for bone problems like my poor mother is experience!  Without even really trying I have been shedding weight.  I was not what anyone would consider overweight before but I did weigh as much as 151 in the a..m. (when I weight the least) and today I weighed 135.4 lbs!  Woo hoo!  I can definitely tell my waistline is smaller and my legs are thinner. Go me! :)

I am also happy to say that my youngest is home for the summer now and it is really great to have her here again.  She is already back to working her summer job in retail sales.  She likes it and she can earn money to save for college expenses next year, plus she can't get as bored being 'at home'.

No comments:

Post a Comment