Saturday, May 12, 2018

Sunny Saturday

I was just on the back balcony setting for a spell...as they used to say in the old days.  I haven't really sat out there this year yet, just have used the back porch.  I don't have any big plans today so I figured I could just sit there and listen to the birds for a while. I love being outside when it is warm out. 

Yesterday was a very eventful day!  The youngest graduated with a Masters Degree in Education.  I took the day off to attend with my hubby and we left in what I thought was plenty of time at 7:00 am. Graduation was at 10:00 am. I decided to avoid the main highway through Austin as in was a work day and a Friday, not a good combination for traffic!

So I took the toll road and we got maybe 15 miles down the road and traffic came to a slow crawl.  I heard on the radio that the road was being SHUT DOWN due to an accident so luckily we were right at an exit which I took, along with what looked like hundreds of other cars.  It was stop and go (mostly stop) until we got to the street off the frontage road to head to that highway I was trying to avoid. Again we were with many others with the same idea.  I was very thankful that we were not stuck on that toll road any longer as it was still shut down for hours!

Getting to Austin, we passed another accident that was on the side of the road and when we got to the highway there was a motorcyclist sitting at the side with a police car, so not sure what happened there but I was concentrating on getting to the graduation.  Did I mention the urge to use a bathroom was starting to nag at me too?!!

We got down to the apartment where my daughter and her fiance live at 9:30AM.  Thankfully he was waiting for us as he had already dropped off Stac at the coliseum. We had to park and get a shuttle but after all that, we did get seated in time for commencement -made it by less than 5 minutes!  I took a little while to de-stress from that drive!  I suppose if I normally commuted every day it wouldn't have been so bad, but keep in mind I work at home so driving is rare these days and I got gas for the 2nd time this year the other evening.  I got my car back in 2007, and it still has less than 25,000 miles on it!

After graduation we had a nice lunch in a nearby town and then headed home.  Luckily the drive back home was uneventful.  I did take that same toll road though because there was bound to be traffic on a Friday afternoon on the highway through Austin. 

I have to say, it is so weird not working overtime. I am so used to having to work part or all weekend and having time to do what I want is foreign to me.  I don't feel like cleaning either so not sure what I'll do the rest of the day.  It may just be Sci Fi movie time.  Whatever I do, it will be much more relaxing than yesterday.  LOL !


No comments:

Post a Comment