Friday, March 19, 2010

Said Goodbye...


Shelby St James July 2000 - March 19th 2010


You may remember Shelby was very sick last fall and it was determined among other things she had Diabetes. Her blood sugar level was over 500 nearly every time tested. She had lost weight and was only around 16 pounds.

Since then she had managed to gain back a few pounds, but her quality of life was going down hill. She has become blind, her arthritis has worsened, she has had (prior to the Diabetes) some anal tissue inflammation problems thought to be Cushings but was not..I forget the technical name for it.

And recently she often has been pacing, whining and generally looking unhappy. She had become my shadow and always wanted to be on my lap...although that is not something I minded one bit, it was really not like her. I gave her much love and kisses!

She was bumping into things, missing a step and smacking her poor head on the floor and two days ago in the morning fell down a flight of stairs (I wasn't up yet and hubby didn't get to her in time). She got through it okay but it made us take a good hard look at her condition and face a harsh reality and wondered if we were just keeping her around for US. Her Diabetes was still not under control and we were up to 10ccs of Insulin twice a day.

So...I took her to the vet today, and while she was on my lap in the car shaking, I looked down lovingly and said "This is the last time you have to be scared to go the vet, Shelby." Hubby met me there so that he could say goodbye too. We gave her one last hug and kiss and now she is at peace romping with Reebok and Misty for sure..

Shelby, you will always be loved and never forgotten...

No comments:

Post a Comment