Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day...what I did..

Today I went to the Farmers Market that is in town on Thursday afternoons for a few hours. This is the first time I've ever gone and now I wish I had been going long before now. The members are all local farmers and I was really excited to check it out. All the crops are locally grown and without pesticides and whatever else the vegetables go through by the time they are picked in Mexico or wherever and end up on the store shelves.

I took Kaci, the most behaved of my dogs and she did well and loved sniffing everything she could reach such as some breads below the table that were stored for replacing ones sold. There were several merchants with mostly vegetables. Some specialized in certain things like honey. I just bought honey recently, so I didn't need any. One woman made yummy smelling pies and breads. I almost got one of of her strawberry pies but they were if I recall $10.00. That is just a lot for a pie to me. She had small pies too which I would have gotten if it was $3.00 (we're talking like a serving for one), but that was $5.00 but not half the size of the full pie. So I passed.

I did get some radishes to give my dad, and some baby carrots, tiny squash, strawberries, zuchini, kale, spinach, snow peas, swiss chard, a loaf of homemade bread with spinach and feta cheese in it (tasted very good so hope hub likes it), and pecans. I haven't bought local pecans although I've heard many rave about Texas pecans. But I'm glad I bought them. They were very sweet (for nuts) and I'm sure I'll get them again. There was also a table for chicken (frozen I think but I didn't check it out), and one for the sale of fresh local beef. I may get some beef sometime, but that was really pricey too. I'm sure it is a lot better quality than the local grocery store so once I can afford to get some, I plan on it.

I of course used my canvas shopping bags and passed on the plastic ones that they had. Always makes me feel good that I use the canvas. I've been doing that for over a year now (not sure when I bought the bags but I do know I bought two pink ones last October during breast cancer awareness month).

It started raining while I was there but it seem natural and didn't bother me until I put Kaci in the seat next to me and she proceeded to get the seat and the back a little muddy from her paws. < sigh >

I can't wait to make a good stir fry this weekend when my youngest is home! I did forget though I was going to get some young onions to have in the stir fry. That is okay, I can get those at the grocery I guess. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment