Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring .. planting?....

As I look out and see all the planters on my balcony with dried up remains of my attempts at a vegetable garden last year, I remember how inspired I was that all the seeds that I started grew to nice seedlings. Then my young vegetable plants were planted into the various planters and barrels I had purchased and it all started out nice and green and growing. But then came summer with over 60 days of blistering 100 degree heat. It was too much for my garden to survive. I think I had 3 or 4 cucumbers and a handful of green peppers when I had planted a lot of vegetables that mostly were nurtured lovingly by seed.

Since it is already April it is late for me to start anything from seed except maybe cucumbers and zucchini but I am still trying to decide if I even want to spend the money on seeds or plants, more soil, and water, and spend the time taking care of it. Money is tight this year and every penny counts. So I may try growing one or two things but just not sure yet.

I am definitely not buying flowers for the front porch. Those are not cheap and last year they died pretty quickly. I know this summer may not be as dry and hot as last year, but it was really depressing how bad my balcony garden turned out last year and how fast the flowers died.

So if I don't try having a lot, I won't have to risk the disappointment if not much comes of it. I suppose I could look into an indoor herb garden...lately I've discovered and gotten on a kale kick...wonder if I can grow that indoors...hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment