Sunday, April 17, 2011

..from Shadow's view...

I know I posted about helping to walk dogs last weekend at the local animal shelter, but I thought I'd do my best to convey what it may have been like for Shadow, the cute Chihuahua/mini dobie mix puppy that was one of the dogs I played with.


A visit from a nice lady….


I was sitting in the kennel with my two brothers waiting for somebody, anybody to come around to play with me.  I saw this lady who took one of my friends two kennels down out to play in the play yard.  When she came back I tried my best to get her attention. I jumped up and down and even used one of my brothers as a step stool to get her attention first.  After all, there were three of us in this space and if I wanted to get that lady’s attention, I had to stand out!

Here she comes, she is close by. She’s looking down at all of us. She looks happy.  On no, now she is walking away from me to another kennel.
Sadly, the lady took a big black dog and went away with it.  Why would she want to walk a stupid big black dog that wasn’t even jumping up and down for attention?  Well hopefully she will come back.  I have hope.  It may be my lucky day. 

It seemed like forever, but the lady finally came back.  She spotted me and my brothers and smiled again. Then she went away. No wait, I see her at the back door of this thing.  She’s talking to another lady.  She is shaking her head.  Maybe because there are three of us, she doesn’t want to bother with me. She was gone again. Now she is back in the front of the kennel.  I’m gonna get there first!  Zoom…Plop.  I’m in front now and so is she but my brothers are not. Lucky me! Oh the back door has a wall there now. Weird, I guess my brothers are stuck back there. Good! “Lady, pick me, pick me!”, I thought.  

Then she opened the door and was in the kennel with me.  I jumped up and licked her hand and she put this heavy metal thing around my neck, but I didn’t care. I was getting attention. She opened the door and I was free!!  I hopped up and down and was too excited to go for a ‘walk’. She was pulling gently on that long thing that was attached to the metal thing around my neck.  I didn’t care where we went. All I knew was that I was out of that cage! 

She took me into a place and closed a metal gate which was sort of like the door to that kennel I’ve been living in, but since she is in there with me, it is okay. Then she took that heavy metal thing off my neck and starting jumping and hopping herself.  I joined in with her and then spotted a big thing in the yard. It was almost as big as me with many legs and so I picked it up and shook it. This made the lady laugh.  There was a big long thing that looked like I could walk up one side and down the other, but it was way too high for me and scared me.  But inside it was nice and cool, so I would run around in the sun then hide inside it.  Then I heard the lady calling so I ran out again. We were playing for a while like this. Then the lady started talking to someone that I’ve seen around, helping me and my brothers sometimes.  I was getting tired and hot, so the nice lady picked me up and I snuggled against her shoulder and closed my eyes... Ahhhh…

After a little while, the lady put that heavy metal thing over my head again, opened that gate, and we were walking again. ”Oh no…not THAT way”, I barked.  She was taking me back to my brothers.  Not that I hate my brothers, but I really don’t want to go back into that place with the hard floors. It is so boring there and makes me sad.  She opened the front gate and my brothers were not there.  They must still be stuck in the back.  She took off that heavy metal thing and I jumped up, kissing her hand, pleading with her to take me with her. She turned and walked away, closing that kennel door. Click.

Then she left. Oh no, there she is!  She was around back and now my brothers are back here with me.  I ran up toward her, while my brothers shied away.  No please, please take me home!!  She smiled and me, blew me a kiss and said something.  I don’t know what it was but it was a very soothing voice.  Then she was gone.


(the things I said was.. "Hope you find a loving home real soon!"

No comments:

Post a Comment