Sunday, April 10, 2011

Productive weekend.... :-)

I had a little bit of work to do this weekend, and got that done yesterday morning.  It was a beautiful weekend and yesterday after finishing work, I did some laundry and mopped the front balcony and cleaned the furniture there too. It looks so much nicer now.  I saw that I have cucumbers and zucchini coming up, in fact the zucchini is already like 8 inches tall.  Woo hoo!!  Hopefully will have a better harvest this year than last when it got so hot for so long, most of it burned up and dried/died.  The paint on the deck is peeling in some places, so added to my long wish list...getting the decks stripped/repainted next year (if I put it on next year .. there is a slightly better chance of it happening). :-) 

Still keeping up with my walking every day, I took a walk after dinner with our high energy sheltie, Molly.  I decided to walk around the neighborhood behind us a little and surprise our other dogs by coming up the back yard fence (which is a way I never go). So we ventured out on our walk, first I walked up the street like I normally do, but then when we got to our street I kept going straight and walked around to the cul-de-sac development behind us. When I got past 2 houses there was a dog that came running out and barking and startled me and Molly. I was worried it was going to attack her, but it did stop and then I thought there must be an invisible fence.  But I hesitated, until a lady came out and told me not to worry, that they had an invisible fence. I thanked her and we started walking. No sooner did I get past her house, on the other side of the street a dog came barreling out barking toward us.  I saw the lady was still outside the first house and yelled up to her "Do you know if this one has an invisible fence too?"  She said yes, and sure enough it did not go beyond its property line.  But my nerves were a bit rattled by the time I got to the path that led to the back of our house, and Molly had not stopped barking furiously since we saw the first dog.

So I got an idea, when I got to my house, I surprised the rest of our dogs and at first they thought Molly was strange dog, until they realized it was us.  I was laughing so hard at that.  I got the idea to hand Molly to my hubby over the fence so that I wouldn't be taking her back by the barking dogs again. So I did. Then I went back the way I came and sure enough the 2nd dog was waiting there at the edge of its property...it looked at me...as if to say "Where's your dog?". And the owner who was on his cell phone in his driveway gave me a look too.  I started laughing to myself.  Wonder if they thought I dumped my dog in the woods.  LOL

I was pretty tired by Saturday Night Live time and only caught the first 15 minutes or so..before falling asleep.

Today was exercise day and I did that as usual and then decided to go volunteer at the local animal shelter by walking some of the dogs, since I haven't been there in a while.  The first dog I started to walk was full of energy, and it was pretty clear when I got him out of his kennel that he was going to possibly pull me down to the ground, so after a few steps, I decided to play with him instead in the play area. He did really great at fetching a tennis ball for a while.  Then I took him back and walked a dog that was a really short Lab (Lab mixed with Basset Hound I think).  He was fine to walk and I had no problem with him.  There were several small dogs there, which there usually aren't. There was one kennel with 3 puppies in it that were mini doberman pincher/chihuahua mixes. I got another gal to help me trap 2 of them so I could get one out to walk. I knew I wouldn't be able to take all 3 at once.  This little girl was really cute, jumping up and down, playing with the leash, and interested in playing more than walking. So we went into the play yard and she had a great time. She would chase the toys then go hide in an agility ramp, then bop out again.  I started chatting with one of the employees there and picked her up and she snuggled her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes..She was so cute!   But we are not getting any more dogs, so I didn't let myself grow too attached.  Then she went back in her kennel and I walked a dachshund (hot dog I like to call them), last. I think it was a bit hot thought for that one because he wasn't too interested in walking very far. I spent over 2 hours there. 

Rest of the day was relaxing, coupon clipping and writing up the menu/grocery list for the next two weeks. Nice to feel like I got some things accomplished!!

No comments:

Post a Comment