Sunday, February 18, 2018

Higher price...higher quality?

I have had issues throughout my life with uncomfortable bras.  If you are not interested in this topic, I suggest leaving this post right now.  :)

I cannot stand underwire ones as they feel like they are cutting in to my ribs. Not everyone with a B/C cup require underwires nor possess enough extra layers of fat or skin that would make the underwire not uncomfortable. I in fact tend to just avoid wearing them altogether unless I am going to be out in public walking around where it would be obvious that there is nothing 'holding up the girls'.

So my hubby actually saw these bras advertised on a morning television program. They were not underwire and looked very comfortable.  So I ordered some at a whopping $49 a piece, BEFORE tax and S&H.  

They are comfortable and they have removable pads for the cups which I like.  After a few months I was putting one on in the bathroom and I heard rrrriiiip!  These have to go over the head as there is no snap closure or any other way to get it on.   I could not believe it ripped at the side.  I have never had a bra rip on me, ever!  And it wasn't too tight.  I was really disgusted but thought it may have been a poorly made one.  So I tossed it.

A few weeks later I was putting on another one and rip again. This time only a few inches of the side had ripped.  So I looked at it really closely.  The seams were only crimped closed!  Hubby said they were likely heat crimped.  You know like we used to crimp our hair?!!   There was no stitching along the seams whatsoever!!  So my pulling it over my head and pulling down one side made the crimping simply un-crimp!  I had never seen anything like this before.  And I always wash them in cold delicate and hang to dry so it isn't like they were not being laundered properly.

I started avoided wearing them but mostly so that more wouldn't rip.  But I got an idea which I put into action today.  I took the remaining bras that I have and sewed a seam on each side so that it will hold even if the crimping does not. I think it will actually prevent the seam from breaking apart period.  I'm so glad I can still work a sewing machine too...sort of like riding a bike I suppose.

Here is a before and after picture of a seam. Now I feel comfortable wearing these again.  I should make this suggestion to the manufacturer but I'm sure it would go unnoticed.  After all, why would they want to discourage future sales to those women who keep ripping them but want to give them another shot?  ;-)    I wish I would have thought of this before throwing out the other 2 bras though.  Oh well.  I have enough for now.  Hopefully that will do the trick!

BEFORE - CRIMPED SEAMS

AFTER  MACHINE STITCHED SEAM



ENTIRE SEAM SEWED

No comments:

Post a Comment