Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mammogram overkill revisited....

I have a good friend who just recently went through what I did 5 years ago well part way.... She got a mammogram and was instructed to come back for a second one which she did. At that time she was told there was something that was not identifiable and needed a needle biopsy.  She told me she remembered my botched up needle biopsy nightmare that I had shared with her not too long ago and sought a 2nd opinion.  She got that second opinion Thursday and turns out there is NO reason (and this was from a surgeon that specializes in breast surgery) for her to have a needle biopsy. 

How many other women DON'T get that second opinion though and have a needless biopsy done?  And no they are not a simple operation...the doctor who did mine 5 years ago, screwed up..the needle hit a vein and he told me was squirting out like something from C.S.I....which of course was NOT very comforting to me. Then I needed 2 stitches, right on the sensitive area of the nipple too, and then there was the bruising for days afterward. This was all done in a room adjacent to his office too, not a hospital or anything like that (to give the appearance that it is a simple procedure I think).

After my friend told me she was relieved to hear her good news, we got into a conversation about the whole wasteful 2nd mammograms and stress that it causes and then I got on the subject of how many women don't even GET mammograms as often as they should because you need a prescription for it. THAT costs money going to a doctor for those of us who don't have an HMO that covers everything, this can be costly and a pain, because most doctors are not going to let you just pick up a script ...you need to go in and get an exam and pay for that bill.

I did look up mammograms a little before blogging and some websites indicated that you do not have to have a prescription/referral in order to get a mammogram, well every place I have gone I have.  One website said you don't have to have a prescription but the place that does the mammograms can refuse you...okay so yes in most cases you probably DO need a script. I think that alone is preventing some women (again who can't afford it) from even getting a mammogram. I strongly believe a script should not ever be required.  Then if there is something suspicious it is up to the patient to decide if she wants further mammos, biopsies or what. Some websites I visited said that even if one can walk in an get a mammogram at a clinic they want to know the name and number of your doctor for following up. Why? Well I know why, it is so the doctor can follow up and badger...uh.. I mean advise you to get the needle biopsy. I don't think this should be a requirement either for a doctor's name and number.  Just tell ME if there is some issue and I'll decide if I think this is just a ploy to get more money out of me, or if it is something I really need to be concerned about.

"Now that's all I have to say about that" (Forrest Gump).




 

No comments:

Post a Comment