Saturday, January 26, 2013

Can't complain...

Well it is cloud, dreary and a chilly 55 degrees outside but I guess I can't complain after hearing the deep freeze so many have been experienced up north. :)  But when we have a teaser like the other day when it got up to 80 degrees and sunny, 55 feels down right COLD!

Had a nice visit with my youngest last weekend. It is so nice having her here so I don't have to wonder or worry about her for a few days anyway.  I don't worry all the time but with her being away and the oldest being way back east, it is hard not to worry on occasion.  Every time I hear about snow back east I am praying that my oldest takes her time driving and the same for everyone around her.

I am happy to report that the thick paperback book I was reading is finally finished.  The end didn't really say what happened to some of the characters though and I was disappointed I read so many pages only to have to come up with my own 'make believe' ending...so that there was that happily ever after that I always like stories to end with.

We had a hard rain a few weeks ago and I noticed a small black spot on the ceiling in the garage.  It is mold and not that big of a circle (only about 3-4 inches) but it is a concern and likely a screw on our metal roof not tight enough (that would be the easiest fix). Hub says he thinks he can find the spot on the roof and seal it somehow although he hasn't done anything about it yet. Luckily have not had any more rain since then so far and the spot looks the same. (Once the roof problem is fixed will look at removal/kills? for the moldy spot).

But that got me thinking. We had roof problems the spring after we moved here as we saw lines of moisture on Stac's bedroom ceiling. We had a roofing company that deals with metal roofs come out and they informed us that much of the metal roof was nailed down not screwed down as it should be. Yes, we did have a property inspection but that was not mentioned on there and we were just stupid east coast folks who knew nothing about metal roofs anyway!  I just liked it because it was different and something I never saw back east.

 So to the tune of over $2000 we had them out to fix the area that was leaking as well as screw down the entire roof either with new screws or with screws that replaced nails from before. Anyway although it was expensive, I thought it was worth it.  We really had no problems since then until now (and we'll be here 8 yrs come August). But now with this other problem, and the fact that our roof is rusty in spots, I think instead of the goal for a new bathroom this year, the focus will be on more practical things like a new roof and we also need a hot water heater.  The heater is not shot but if it is the original one it is going on 31 years (like the roof and the bathroom) and I don't want to keep taking chances it won't break, especially since it is on the 2nd floor.  

So now the goal is to save who knows how much, $10K or more?...for a new metal roof. Hot water heater will come first and my plan is by next month to get that done. 'Tankless' is way more expensive than the old large cylinder tanks so we'll stick with that (the same kind we have). Hopefully the water will heat up faster with a new one though because it takes a while for the water to heat up for showers and I hate wasting water.

Well off to take my walk, after I put a heavy coat on. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment