Monday, January 27, 2014

48 to go...

Only 48 more Mondays to go this year. Woo hoo!
Hey it is something to be excited about in my book!

Yesterday I wanted to take a picture of my salad but the battery to the camera was on charger so I didn't take one, and I don't have a fancy phone that can snap and post directly. So anyway, I gave Greenling another chance on Saturday and got an order of decent, edible produce this time! Last time I ordered it looked like I got the bottom of the barrel and the bottom contained two sweet potatoes with some sort of growth on them that I didn't want to even chance those. Some of the other things were limp and not fresh.

So anyway, this order was more like I was used to. My salad yesterday consisted of mesclun (don't ask me...that is what it indicated) salad mix, 1/2 avocado, spinach, fresh squeezed lemon and rainbow carrots including their greens.
Last night I made a recipe that I hadn't made in a while - Johnny Marzetti. It is made with ground beef, macaroni, tomato or spaghetti sauce and cheese as the main ingredients. I don't have ground beef very often (as it is a very fatty meat, plus ever since those pink slime stories..I'm a bit leery). But since I ate a great salad for lunch I figured it was okay.

I started to wonder if I could come up with a weeks' worth of recipes with names in them.  I came up with Johnny Marzetti, Sloppy Joes, Shepard's (hey think Grey's Anatomy) Pie...but that is all I could come up with off the cuff.  And besides those ALL have icky ground beef in them.

Oh since I'm on the topic of food, I got some hard Tofu for the first time to try with some stir fry.  The tofu I get at the Thai restaurant really tastes good!  So I'm willing to give it a shot.

Yesterday it got up into the 70's. Today it is progressively going down and it is only 44.6 out now with a wind chill of 35 (we have winds too).  So I do not think I am going for any walk after work this evening.

We got harnesses for Molly and Ditzy for when we walk them as they are two of the worst pullers and really make walking them aggravating. I broke up some treats and attempted to take just Molly with me yesterday but Ditzy kept making her way out too, so I took both of them.  I figured why not try to train them not to bark at every single person, bike, dog that they saw or went by. The harnesses have been wonderful!  The training did not work out so well. That is something I can only do with one dog at a time. I've been watching some training videos about it but those were all done with a controlled environment. Like a scooter approaching starting from way far away, finding out the trigger spot when the dog spots it..and then give them treats continuously to keep them from looking and barking. They kept closing in the distance,etc. 

It would not work for me anyway as a motorcycle going by gets Molly's attention and once things get a dog's attention it is too late.  I called her and showed her a treat, to no avail.  So I didn't even try to do that sort of training with them. Instead I had them sit at the end of streets (before we crossed) and gave them a treat when they did that. Molly is good and stays in the sit position until I say "OK" but Ditzy sits until I give her the treat then gets up.  Well in her defense I haven't really worked with her too much. I'll see how things go although as I said without controlled objects/people not sure how well the barking will get under control with these guys.



No comments:

Post a Comment