Thursday, May 4, 2017

Addition Day 49

Well the inspector came yesterday and as this project has seemed to go, the hot/cold water unit in the attic was not putting out any hot water.  I only checked to see if the water was working, not that it was hot. I assumed that the contractor or plumber checking that.  Of course not.  So he couldn't pass the inspection yesterday due to that and a few other minor things.  Steve took care of the caulking on the shower head and control himself but the water not heating was very frustrating.

While I somewhat admire the persistence of our contractor, I think he really is lacking in knowledge about a lot of these things that cause long delays and issues.  He was running around trying to get a fuse for the unit thinking that may be it.  He ended up going all the way down to Austin. That still didn't do it.  He spent hours yesterday trying this and that. 

Today I had planned to take 1/2 day off so that I could run a few errands with hubby such as getting my mom a small refrigerator for her kitchenette, etc.  I was also going to help with the clean up of all the dust from the addition.

Well that didn't happen the way we planned.  Nothing ever does with this project.  The contractor came at 9AM to work on the hot water problem again.  He tried a different unit, etc.  After 2 hours, he finally got it. Something in some sensor part was not working or hooked up right or something.  But I was relieved when it was working.

The inspector came back and cleared everything.  So the contractor still had to install the inside part of the heating/ac unit.  A picture is below.  This thing that he made sound so simple which I realize is said about A LOT of things, wase not so simple.  He worked on this thing until 5:15PM!  He also had to cut a hole in the nice painted finish wall (see the darker square below the unit to the right). So now that has to be textured/painted too.  No surprise. When he was done I just asked him to leave and I cleaned up.  We had to get dinner, etc., and he never seems to respect that we really don't want anyone here after 5PM.  So something I thought would take an hour, two at the most took 5-6 hours. Unreal!!!


Okay so 5:45PM we decide to just grab fast food to take to moms because we did not have time to make anything.  Our front yard is still a mess and hasn't been touched since Saturday.  We were told by our contractor that the plumbing company was coming back tomorrow morning to finish it up. We made it VERY CLEAR we didn't want them just dumping on the newly installed pipes all those large rocks (some of which had to be broken up in order to lay the pipes).   Well we see the plumbers truck pull up at nearly 6 PM, the one guy got on the Cat back hoe and was going to just start picking up buckets of rocks and dirt back on top of the new piping.  Hubby has just had it with this project so I ran outside yelling that they were not to come until tomorrow morning.  I basically sent them off all pissy but we are not allowing them to just dump crap on top of the pipes. They don't care what happens to the pipes if they get damaged by the rocks. This isn't their house.  I was so mad!!  First of all coming at nearly 6PM. Seriously!?!!  Then they were just going to dump like I said. 

Then I called the contractor and laid into him.  Luckily did not give hubby the phone as he was just screaming obscenities.  The contractor told me they were not suppose to come until tomorrow morning, which is not what the plumber told me before he said "I don't get paid enough to get yelled at". We told the contractor (who agreed this afternoon) that we wanted the large stones not to get buried so that the pipes could avoid chance of puncture or breakage.  He is supposed to come tomorrow morning again.   He could have had one of his workers pulling aside all the large rocks today in prep for the plumbers but nope. 

I just pray that all this will be over tomorrow and the way we want it. The only thing we need indoors are the 3 doors that were screwed up the first time which he is also to bring tomorrow.  At this point we will move mom in whether the doors are in or not as there is a door to her bedroom and that is all that she needs until the doors are installed. 

I can't wait until Sunday. Moving her in on Saturday...She will finally be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment