Friday, August 13, 2010

Back to school soon...

As my youngest gets ready to head back to college...and I get ready to feel the empty nest again for a bit anyway until she comes back for a weekend...I see how my emphasis on money or lack of it in the past when they were younger had a good influence on both my kids.  For a while there I was a single mom and so shopping at second hand stores and getting haircuts done by mom (me) were part of life back then.  I would often feel bad when I had to say "No, we can't afford that".

So..when textbooks and ordering them came up the other day I was prepared to shell out hundreds once again for them but my youngest searched and found some wonderful bargains and even one required reading book at .01 plus $3.99 shipping!  And a few others she found for less than $5.00 each.  I was floored at the bargains she found and although she did have to resort to the school book store for a few of them, the total was well below what I expected the cost to be! 

And my oldest who got married in March pulled together a very nice wedding with a budget of around $6000.  In today's age of costly weddings that was a real savings and she did an excellent job of looking for bargains and making some things by hand.  Her wedding dress was less than $900 and it was beautiful!  Anyone who has seen those bridal dress shows on television know that they can run upwards of $10,000+ just for a wedding dress!  So I am proud how wonderful her wedding turned out 'on a budget'. 

So instead of feeling guilty about bringing up money all the time...I can actually be happy that I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment