Saturday, August 7, 2010

~Exotic Oatmeal ~

First of all YES there is Oatmeal under all that fruit!  I have oatmeal nearly every morning for breakfast.  It is great for our bodies.  Besides having all important fiber, it has Vitamin E, zinc, and other important nutrients.  I make the old fashioned oatmeal, not the kinds with tons of sugar and flavoring added.

I make 1/2 of what is needed for 1 serving and add a squirt of honey (better for me than processed cane sugar and I'm just not sure how healthy those sugar substitutes are)..and also a few shakes if cinnamon. Cinnamon helps keep blood sugar levels down. And NO, I am not a nutritionist...just learning things via the Internet and such.

Anyway...I have been expanding the things I am willing to try as of late and while at the farmers market there was a lady selling Jujube fruit.  I had never heard of this before but it has been around for thousands of years and was used for medicinal purposes in Ancient China.  So I thought I'd get some, it was only $1.00 for a heaping baggie of them.  It tastes to me like an apple that does not have much flavoring.  But the health benefits are worth it not having any exotic taste.  It is the fruit in the center of the picture. 

Surrounding it is a Kiwi fruit that I picked up at the grocery....well they don't have anyone selling that at the farmer market, and around that is a Clementine that I got a bag of when we were visiting my oldest and her hub last weekend.

And yes I do usually have my oatmeal blanketed with some sort of fruit concoction! So nobody can say I am not getting my daily recommended fruit intake. 

So I just wanted to share with you one of my breakfast creations, and urge everyone to try something NEW that is at your farmers market or grocery!  You may be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment