Thursday, August 5, 2010

fruit...er vegetables of my labor..

I have a balcony garden again this year and so far some things have survived and given us something to eat already.  The lettuce didn't make it.  It got too hot too fast, although in hind sight I could have pulled the small single leaves and they probably would have been fine and enough for one salad anyway...but no.. I was waiting for it to grow and look more like the photo on the front of the seed package. 


So okay, lesson learned.  I did get to pull 2 banana peppers and the green pepper wasn't really ready, but the branch had broken over so I had to pull it a little early.  This is the first time I've grown banana peppers and they are turning out very nice!  I have some cucumbers that are tiny so far too, so looking forward to getting some of those. I planted some zucchini but not sure if they'll make it as it is getting upward of 100 degrees these days.  But at least it is something! And I am proud of it!   We had the banana peppers and green pepper tonight in a stir fry I made along with some other veges we got from the local Farmers Market.  I bought Okra for the first time and put some of that in the stir fry.  I love going to the Farmers Market and buying locally grown food.  I will miss it when it is closed from December to April.  I will have to try to freeze some veges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment