Friday, May 18, 2012

Surprise morning


This morning after I got up and dressed for the day, I went out to water my balcony gardens. I was going from planter to planter and got to the zucchini. Suddenly I found myself ducking...as a small bird flew up out of that planter and into a nearby tree. That woke me up the rest of the way for sure as I was not ready for that!

Sure enough there is a birds net with tiny eggs in it in the half barrel planter I have my zucchini in. The bird was complaining and chirping loudly to let me know it was not happy that I disturbed it and its nest.  I went indoors and stood by the window to watch it fly to a closer tree, then to the balcony railing, then to a nearby plant..and eventually saw it walking toward the zucchini plant. I didn't see it go in to the planter or nest though because I didn't want to scare it off, as by then two of my dogs were standing near me at the window curious as to what the heck I was doing there.

I'll be careful when I water now and try not to disturb the nest. Wish I could take a picture of the nest but it would be hard to get close enough to take a clear picture.  But I will post updates from time to time as to the development. Hope the eggs do hatch! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment