Thursday, August 31, 2017

Let's Panic people!

Well we survived the rest of the storm without losing any electricity. And we only got about 8 inches of rain as opposed to 50+ inches that Houston and that area got.  Thankfully!

But today, because of all the panic that there is a shortage of gas, or there will be, there has been a run to the gas stations. Lines and lines of cars and then yup, gas stations closing down pumps because yes they ran out of gas.  This is ridiculous. There wasn't a gas shortage but now thanks to the panic there is. At least temporarily.  I am almost on empty too, but I wasn't worried about it because I don't drive much these days since I work at home.  So I did not go out and wait in any long lines. Hopefully within a few days, the panic will subside and then I will fill up my tank and be set for a while again.

I have been catching some news stories about Hurricane Harvey and feel so bad for all the folks who have been flooded out of their homes.  I can totally relate to them since I grew up in a house that was located in a flood plain (though they never told anyone for years), and we had water in the basement many times. The worst was when we had 5 feet in the basement and it rose up to just 5 steps from the living area.That time the door to the garage gave way and came off the hinges and busted inward (due to the force of the water). I remember my brother sitting on the washing machine or dryer, I don't recall which. He trying to keep it from floating away.

The smell after the water subsided was something I never will forget. And the mud and muck that just seeped up from the tile floor kept seeping up even after mopping. Ugh. Yes I feel for those poor people in Hurricane Harvey's path. And there were so many that got flooded too. I heard today 100,000 homes were affected. I also hope that the death toll doesn't go way up because nobody knows if some chose to stay in their home and never got out. Today they showed rescue folks going door to door and knocking.  If someone was holed up in their attic or upstairs closet, they may not hear a knock or doorbell.  I hope I'll be wrong but time will tell.




1 comment:

  1. While growing up, I remember our worst flood at our house, too! As you probably know, they eventually condemned all of the homes on our side of the street & tore them down. Glad Mom & Dad were able to sell before then. Also, I remember long gas lines, and pushing my small car to the pump, instead of wasting gas keeping the motor on, or starting it up each time the car ahead of me moved up. They even implemented odd/even days, depending upon your car license plate, and you could only buy gas on the day that corresponded to your license plate. The one exception was the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but you could only buy up to $5.00 of gas per stop. (Gas prices were much lower then - well under $1/gallon!)

    ReplyDelete