Friday, December 21, 2012

Friday before Christmas..

I was going to blog yesterday about the night before but I was dragging all day and was too tired to write.  I didn't even walk or exercise at all!  That's how I know I was beat!

Wednesday night there were winds with gusts upwards of 40 mph. Now i know that is not tornado force winds but let me tell you, when you have a metal roof, you notice when the wind is whipping. Something squeaks too. I think some flashing around the chimney that is metal may flap a little because it sounds like something is moving up there when the wind kicks up.

The winds were not suppose to start until around 2:00am. They started up when I was only in bed about 10 minutes watching the beginning of Jay Leno. So let's just say I did not fall asleep for a while! After 30 minutes, the television turned off (timer) and there I was listening to the wind and in between gusts hearing a dark barking incessantly outside. I felt bad for the dog having to be outdoors and I think it was just barking and barking to be let indoors, but wasn't getting anywhere.  Then in addition to the wind and the dog barking I could hear a cup or can rolling up and down the street from the wind.  It was almost comical! We had a window open because when we went to bed it was still 70 degrees outside!

The power went out twice for a moment, just long enough for the clocks to start blinking. Ugh!  I tossed and turned for about an hour I'd guess then I came up with a brilliant idea!  I wouldn't hear the wind so much if I turned the TV on and just kept it on low.  Hubby was fine with that so I turned it on and Jimmy Fallon was still on.  Okay that helped some for about 10 minutes....right when I was finally starting to drift off to sleep..then it went pitch BLACK.  NO TV, no night light, no street lights outside, the power was OUT in the neighborhood. Just great! When that happens and there is not a glimmer of light from anywhere it is really pitch black!! I wondered for a moment if that is what it is like to be blind.  I really wanted to SEE something. Finally my eyes started to adjust a tiny bit.

After another 5 minutes or so the power came back on and for the third time I was trying to set my clock guessing each time what time it was when the power went out. I didn't bother turning the TV on again. The power stayed on after that but the winds never let up.  I remember looking at the clock several times. Why does time seem to drag when you are awake at night?  Other times my head hits the pillow and I can't believe it is time to get up already the next morning?!

I would guess I got maybe 3 hours of sleep that night!  I don't know how people function on a few hours of sleep! I've read how so many people don't get much sleep and they just live that way.  I was grouchy, tired and couldn't wait for yesterday to be OVER! :)   So glad I usually get 8 hours of sleep!
No wind last night thank God! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment