Monday, August 5, 2013

Mammo Monday

This morning I got my annual mammogram, well that is not so annual for me. I still think that all the exposure to the radiation and squeezing of breast tissue to the point of pain, may just be harmful to the breasts and can quite possibly contribute to getting cancer. I read an article a while ago about this exact thing (I am not promoting anything that is being sold at this website just linking to the article for anyone wishing to read it). So between my own botched up needle biopsy that was oh 8 years ago and things I have read lately, I have been going about every 2 years since 2009, not every single year.

When I got to the radiologist office, there were lots of other people there waiting for their various exposure to radiation, I mean their testing. Some were there for bone density, others for CT Scans or MRIs or other specialty testing, likely there because they were convinced it was necessary by their doctors.  It was fairly busy even though I got there at 7:35AM for my 7:55AM appointment. There were at least 10 if not 15 people already waiting.  I sort of felt like we were just being churned in and out.  Many came and went before I had my mammogram close to 8:30AM (finally). 

When I was filling out the paperwork I was so tempted to write glib answers to questions as I have gone to this same place for at least 5 years.  They ask "Have any of your relatives had breast cancer? If so, age of diagnosis."  I wanted to write, Yes my sister had breast cancer just like I indicated last time and the time before that and the age she was diagnosed was oh I don't remember as it was years ago, and as the years pass I can't remember how old she was.  Can't you just look that up in your records?  The good news is she is very much alive, though. I can tell you that much!

And they ask "Have you ever had a mammogram?  If so, when was your last one?"  As I was trying to remember the exact date of my last one and finally was satisfied with May 2011 and wrote that down, when I got to the last page there was a form with all my history on it and my last mammogram was on May 20, 2011.  I should have put, You have the records in your system!  But instead I added a little caret after May and wrote in 20.

I can see the point of all these questions at a first time visit, but if it isn't a new patient scenario can't they just give you a form asking, "Has anything in your health changed or has anyone developed breast cancer since your last visit?"  I suppose one might spend too much time trying to decide when the last visit actually was, so okay, maybe that wouldn't be a good solution either.

I do have to say that the technician that took my mammogram was very nice and polite and obliged my request when I asked for the little lead apron to cover my thyroid area (as that is subject to possible radiation as well, did you know that?). So hopefully it will be a nothing found letter that I'll get in the next week or so.

When I went to my gyno back in April, she gave me a script to get a bone density test next year too. Wait a minute.  I had one of those 3 years ago to get a good 'base line' reading.  I agreed to get that done back then. But I have read more than one article indicating they are not really necessary until age 60 or 65, and I had one done at 52!  So no thanks.  I will wait until it has been at least 5 years, maybe not until I'm 60.  I take care of myself, eat plenty of calcium rich foods, get vitamin D, eat my Kale, flax seed, f & v (fruits & vegetables), exercise, am at a great weight, etc.  And so no, I do not plan to get exposed to radiation via testing anyway again until at least 2 years from now.

Next appointment will be a dentist.  I have been chewing with my left side of my teeth mostly because when I chew on my right, I get pain shooting up one of my teeth. I think it is one that is cracked and has been that way for about 10 years. It is just worse now, so guess I need to get something done about it. Hey, can't rush these things.... ;-)

Think I'll switch to my mom's dentist because she really likes hers and if my mom likes a doctor/dentist they must be super nice!  Trust me! 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment