Thursday, July 23, 2015

Cost of Cancer Treatment!

This evening news had a story about how much it is costing for cancer treatment, not only the treatment but the meds necessary as part of the treatment. Once folks who have insurance caps out - which may be even as high as $1,000,000, they are left to fend for themselves.  With today's skyrocketing medical costs it probably doesn't take as long as one might think to get up to that $1M mark!  So then their are decisions to be made. Go into spiraling debt to stay alive or decide to let nature takes it course. Many choose to live as long as possible no matter what the cost, but I hope that is something that I will never personally have to face as I would likely just try to do everything on my bucket list that is important to me until I move on.

When questioned as to the reason for such high costs, one theory was one of the standards of economics that I learned in college. The price of cancer treatment is whatever the market may bear. Really?  Yes. It all boils down to the almighty dollar!  I do not know why other than for greed the costs for cancer treatment specifically must be so high.  Every year, if not every day there are thousands of people donating to cancer research and help. Where the hell is all that money going???  Research?  Is that research getting anywhere?  Isn't there any way some of the donations can go toward the medical costs?! 

Of course the obvious question to me at times is why have they not found a cure by now?  Sometimes I can't help but wonder if there have been several cures developed for many types of cancer, but if everyone was cured swiftly think of all the money that they would lose?  I hope that I'm not right about that. It would be nice to know where all the money goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment