Sunday, July 26, 2015

Ugh

I had two goals this weekend in terms of making two things for desserts, one from my Southernbellegourmet.com businesss- 5 Minute Chocolate Fudge and Key Lime Pie that I had saved a recipe for.

I happened to have gotten a bunch of key limes in my Greenling order last week so wanted to make it.

Yesterday I made the fudge in 5 minutes, no problem!!  I did it in between working and going to my mom's. I even took some to mom for her to enjoy.  It really is great fudge considering it only takes 5 minutes to make.

Today I had some work to finish up and we were also going to see the new Jurrasic World movie. So I knew I still wanted to make the pie.  I made my favorite pie crust and froze a few more batches for pies to make at a later time.  I had mixed the crust right before heading to mom's to make dinner.  This afternoon after the movie I had gotten close to the 1/2 cup lime juice needed.  I discovered the easiest way to juice limes is to cut one into quarters and then squeeze.  That worked way better than cutting in half. But my hands did feel a work out by the time I was done squeezing them. Those key limes are tiny!

Okay so fast forward to after getting back from my mom's. I had to roll the crust and put it in the pie plate and bake it so that it was cooked.  Then made the lime filling.  But then that filling has to sit at room temperature to thicken.  Really???   No time given for how long this took.  I only waited about 20 minutes as there were 4 egg yolks in the key lime filling and I didn't want to leave it sitting out at room temperature too long.

Back just now from taking it out of the oven. It is nearly 9:00PM  Now it has to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate at least 3 hours until well chilled!!  Well I wanted a piece of this tonight! Not staying up past midnight to do that. So even if this pie turns out delicious I will not make it again any time soon. Talk about a pain in the ass!

So I'm sitting here watching Battlebots with hubby and having a glass of wine.  I really enjoyed the movie today and glad we went to see it.  I'm not trying to make my blog all about food now but just was really frustrated as to how long and how many steps this key lime pie took.  I'll let you know tomorrow if it is any good. I sure hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment