Thursday, August 20, 2009

College Text Books

It is no surprise to me that college books cost so much. They were pretty expensive for the times back in my day too. What has changed so much is the means to getting those required text books that you have to get for classes - no excuses.

Kids today are really spoiled!

They sign up for classes online, which takes them to the next screen which selects the books they will need, which they select to pre-order. Then all they have to do is go to the campus bookstore and pick up their box of text books.

30 years ago, my brother showed me the secret to getting my text books. The key to that secret was getting to campus a week before classes started. I could line up on the first day the books were available at the door of the bookstore to get a decent spot so that I didn't have to spend hours more in line in the store when the doors opened. There were stacks of books everywhere but going early meant I generally got all the books I needed and out of the way, before the campus got flooded with everyone else who arrived a few days before classes.

I remember seeing lines going out the door and then some, and seeing so many kids get frustrated because by the time they finally got up to the counter, half the books they needed were out of stock. Back then, that was the true sign of the beginning of college for a freshman!

My daughter is not going a week ahead of time and classes start Monday. So if the bookstore is closed this weekend, she may very well still have to stand in line next week at the campus bookstore to get her books, (tee hee, freshmen!)

No comments:

Post a Comment