Wednesday, August 19, 2009

...one day closer...

Tonight was the Walmart run before college night. We got some things that I know my daughter would be wishing she had within the first few days at college if we didn't pick them up tonight. We got some things like a clothes basket, toiletries, laundry detergent, and of course snacks. I normally do not shop at Walmart as I feel they are choking out any competing small businesses, but when there is a bunch of different things to get and I really need to watch the cash outlay these days, that is the place of greatest return on the dollar.

My daughter is lucky I'm thinking ahead for her. When I went to college I only recall taking my clothes, toothbrush and a few treasured things. I remember trying to get enough coins together to buy a box of detergent from the dispenser the first time I really needed to do laundry. I need to remember to tell her NOT to wash anything in hot water or use the highest setting on the dryer or risk some of her clothes getting ruined. I shrunk a favorite sweater of mine doing that, or maybe I won't say anything so she can find out for herself...after all kids like to be independent in college right? :)

We didn't load up with too much as she can always gets things after she is there. She is lucky again because she will be able to drive her car around and not be stuck on campus like I was. I didn't really mind it much because everything I needed was within walking distance.

I know I'm going to worry about her driving around and trying to put it out of my mind. I've been okay with it so far as she hasn't been allowed to drive more than around town for the most part. One accident during her permit was enough! Hubby gave her instruction last night about how to check air in her tires and such, but I'm secretly hoping she'll park her car at college and leave it put until she comes home for a weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment