Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Differences....

The differences of not having my youngest here all the time are becoming more apparent now that the fall season is here. I was used to attending all the high school Home football games to catch the half-time show featuring the school dance team which my daughter was on. She was even an officer last year and got special recognition each game with an announcement of her name and rank. I was so proud watching her strut her stuff with the rest of the girls in their glittery uniforms. And the splits! I could never do a split like her or my other daughter for that matter. A one-handed cart wheel was about the fanciest move I could ever do in high school.

As I hear the football game scores on the nightly news it feels strange that I haven't been to a game yet. I almost feel guilty...but not enough to go to a game. Those bleachers are hard!

I was doing laundry today too and I had only done one load I think since the girls were visiting last weekend. I did 4 loads and am nearly caught up already! Used to be, I had to do laundry every other day just to keep up with all the layering , practice outfits, uniforms, just from having one teenage girl at home.

I also mentioned last weekend when everyone was visiting how the kitchen counter stays clutter-free, just as I leave it! I love that part! It used to be a daily routine that a purse, car keys, books, jacket, school project always got strewn all over the counter and I always had to move them when I was getting dinner ready. Yes, I suppose I could have yelled upstairs every day to tell her to put things away but half the time she wouldn't hear me unless I went upstairs because her music was so loud. Just was easier to do it myself! Something I'm sure every mother can relate to.

As much as I give the impression how much easier life is without kids living at home, it still is hard to adjust to. Sometimes the quiet is deafening. Luckily my dogs can keep a secret though. Nobody has to know that I am holding conversations with myself as of late! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment