Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Recycle?....Rubbish!

My hub and I walked our dogs today like we do several times a week. Today is trash day and I could not keep myself from glancing in at everyone's recycling bin to see how full theirs were as we passed by their houses. Some people didn't even bother to put out their recycling bin. Some just had a token bottle or two to make certain they appeared to be doing their part for the cause, a few had a bit more. Give me a break people! It is obvious to me that some of the neighbors on our walking route are either eating out all the time (or ordering in), or are just plain LAZY! I can't get through a day without adding at least 2 recyclable things to our bin. Ours is always at least 3/4 full, if not full come trash day which is once a week! I will take a pic next week to prove it. It only has 3 things in it now.

We recycle newspapers ,plastics and aluminum. I check for the recycle symbol on all the plastic things I put in the bin before I do and there are a lot of containers that have those imprints. Maybe folks just do not realize what all can be recycled?! I add yogurt containers, dog food containers, empty bleach and laundry containers, gallon milk jugs, juice bottles, empty cans from vegetables, tuna....on and on. And most of my neighborhood must not drink any liquids that come in a bottle, eat yogurt or tuna, feed their dogs any food from a plastic tub, or do laundry! PLLLeeaasee!

It is just a shame that so many are undoubtedly just tossing everything out in the trash to add to the landfills perfectly recyclable things! Maybe they think that they are the only ones doing this so it is no big deal. That is not a good way of thinking because for every person who thinks that there are 10 more on the street who think the same thing. No that is not an actual statistic, I just made it up for emphasis...but it is probably even more than that!

I feel like creating a note to post on everyone's trash cans next week that simply stated. Warning: Township recycle officers are checking through trash cans for any items that should be placed in recycle bin. Violators subject to fines! :)

I won't do that....but the thought is tempting!

2 comments:

  1. Boy, you're a toughy!! Just so ya know.....I do a little recycling. Baby steps, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing our part here. We recycle everything we can. Just spent 6 days camping though and we didn't have room to cart all the recyclables around with us. It felt really weird throwing out cans and bottles and such. We have curbside recycling here and our bin is always pretty full. You won't have to put a sign on ours if you're checking in Flagstaff, too. :)

    ReplyDelete