Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Another small rite of passage...

Last week we learned that the state of TX passed a law requiring all incoming college freshmen to get the vaccine for Bacterial Meningitis. Since my youngest and I already had this conversation about that vaccine last summer and opted to pass on it, I thought she would be in the clear, but she found out she cannot return to her dorm without proof of having it.

I am not thrilled about how some vaccines get shoved down our throats. Yes I know it is for everyone's own GOOD but there have not been any cases of Bacterial Meningitis in her college or county for that matter in at least a few years. I don't recall exactly when the last case was but I looked all this stuff up last summer when we were making the decision about the vaccine.

And it is given to college kids due to dorm style living and chances are greater of getting it living in those arrangements. But my daughter is not living in the type of dorm that I lived in at college where the girls used a community bathroom where modesty was impossible unless you wanted to take a shower at 2:00am. No, she lives in a dorm where she shares a suite with one other girl. They each have their own bedroom and share a bathroom. Yes two girls, one bathroom. So...to me it more like living in an apartment. But it doesn't matter how much I protest and think her chances of even being exposed to it are very slim, it is LAW now. Pffft!

So we went to the doctor today so she could get the vaccine. We waited for a while with other folks who had their kids there (we went to her pediatrician probably for the last time). When the nurse called her back I asked her if she wanted me to come with her. She turned around and said she thought she'd be okay. First time she said that, especially since she was getting a 'shot'.

That is the rite of passage I speak of...she doesn't need mom in with the doctor any more. :-) How bittersweet...

Oh I do have to say there was a small toddler who was very friendly and walked around touching and trying to kiss or hug the babies that were in there. At first I thought it was cute, but then while I was waiting for my youngest to be done, I heard one of the women who was with her there say out loud (to this small toddler) that she needed to get checked out because she had a temperature (explaining to her why they were there). Oh sure lady, let the kid possibly infect the other babies she insisted on touching with her sickness! Luckily I won't be going back there anymore because otherwise I would suggest or rather insist they make up a sick room for people to wait with their kids who are sick. I just hope none of those babies end up sick.

On the way back home, we also picked up my youngest's car that needed the timing belt and water pump replaced. Before we left we were told that the transmission is leaking. Great....always something. That will the Spring Break expense...how about me getting a Break! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment