Sunday, January 24, 2010

..Time..

I have to admit since I did not have to work this weekend, I realized how much time there actually is to a weekend...this is something probably many do not notice when they have off every weekend. The hours get wasted away doing this and that...but I managed to get the kitchen floor scrubbed, 2 loads of laundry, living room swept and cleaned out my Peddlers Kitchen cupboard that had other food companies products too...all this before noon yesterday!

The guilt sunk in as I threw out bag after bag of mostly dessert mixes, filling up an entire large kitchen trash bag with food that was not going to be consumed. Most of it was probably at least 2 years old and the 'quality' shelf life (or possibility of getting sick) was not worth risking. Last year I finally got the smarts to date things when I got them so some of those things dated last year I did keep.

The pantry had some things that were even older. Yes I actually had some peanut butter and jelly jars unopened that expired in early 2008! I had 3 jars of Basil that had all been opened at some point. Now why I had 3 containers of Basil I do not know! It isn't like a make many things from scratch. Some of the spices I know I bought when we moved here so could be over 4 years old.

After the guilt wore off from all the food I threw out, it was nice opening the cupboards and pantry and seeing nice, organized, roomy shelves and knowing that if I pull something out, it is not going to make us SICK if we eat it. :)

The only thing wrong with starting a project for me anyway is that is often brings on more work or other projects as a result. As I was clearing shelves and wiping them off, I thought "I really need to get shelf paper on these bare wood shelves", but that is going to have to be a project for another time when I have a weekend off.

After noon, ran a few errands and visited with my folks for over 3 hours. It was a nice visit and I'm sure my mom loved NOT hearing.. "I have to get back to work," after being there 5 minutes like usual.

I was going to play with the dogs for a while when I got home around 4:00pm but it was windy and looked like it might rain, so I just started straightening out my desk a little.

The evening was relaxing with hub and helping my oldest with the financing for getting her car. And I still had all day today to look forward to.

It is working on the books/office/filing day today. Looking forward to what will feel like another long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment