Saturday, June 24, 2017

Sometimes..

Sometimes things happen and it gets you thinking about stuff.  My mom is in a rehab facility as her recovery from hip surgery did not go as planned.  She has not been able to swallow since her operation. She cannot drink nor eat any solid food.  She actually has been able to swallow a tiny bit of vanilla ice cream, because that is her favorite dessert, but that has been it.

So it is still unknown how she will be.  She has had a long life at age 90 and she has said she is ready to see the Lord.  It is up to him now.

But all this happening so suddenly, even though I knew something may happen some day, has got me thinking about my own life. I've always thought I would work until I'm 70-ish so that I'd get the maximum social security benefit.  But then after this I decided to look it up and I can actually get full social security at age 66 1/2.  I didn't know that before.  I am now thinking maybe I should do that instead.  Who knows how long anyone has on this Earth right? As long as I can afford it, it is something to strongly consider. I know I would do something when I retire, but it would be more on the fun side, like helping out with dogs more.  Whether it be transport help, or fostering or something like that. I do love animals especially dogs and I would get to devote more time to doing that.

We also never know how long we or our spouses are going to live if we're married.  I'd hate to wait until I am 70-ish and lose my spouse when I'm 68 or 69.  We may want to take some road trips, like seeing my oldest out in PA or seeing some things out west that I've never seen.

Just something to think about that usually is tucked back in my mind for thinking about. .'later'.

No comments:

Post a Comment