Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mammogram Day

This morning, bright and early I had my appointment for a mammogram and my very first bone density test. I have been bugged by any physician I've seen the last few years about getting that test taken so I agreed to get it done today. I pray that some of all this medical testing is covered by my medical insurance.

The mammogram went as it usually does and it isn't nearly as painful to me as it was when I first started getting them about 10 years ago. I won't go into more details but suffice to say it went without a hitch. Now to hope that there is nothing there to contact me about. :)

The bone density test took longer than the mammogram. I told the lady that took it that it was my first time. She had me lay down on this table while a rectangular arm for lack of a better word moved slowly up toward my face and took X-rays. After getting up to nearly my chest the technician said "Ooops...". "What?", I asked. "I forgot to tell you to put your arms down at your side", she said. So when the machine got up to my hands it was picking up finger digits in the middle of my back X-ray since I folded my hands over my stomach, not knowing NOT to do that. It was okay, except that I had to then put my arms down at my side and she had to do that one over again, exposing me to that radiation all over again. Granted I know it isn't that much, but it was unnecessary.

It is no bid deal I guess, and at least it wasn't an MRI machine type of thing like I thought I would have to be in.

Needless to say, I'm glad all this is done and now I can get back to my normal life of generally 'never' going to the doctor again for hopefully at least another year.
I don't know how often the bone density tests are taken but I do not plan on having one again for at least 2-3 years.

Long work day since I didn't get started until later. Done now..off to watch some TV with hub and hit the sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment