Monday, October 5, 2009

Medical Monday


In honor of breast cancer awareness month combined with the fact that my woman-related check up tests are overdue, I had an appointment today with a physician. This is a new one I am trying out. A woman, who was also born in America. I do not wish to go back to the male doctor I had last year as he was too test happy. I guess that is what internal medicine doctors do. This time I am back to a DO. Anyway, very nice woman, close location, nice offices with homey decor, overall not a bad experience at all...of course I haven't gotten the bill yet.

I was weighed in, although I swear those scales at the doctors offices are off by at least 3 lbs! I talked to a medical student who was taking my medical history and I just let her ask the questions even though I had answered all those questions already on the forms I printed off their website and brought with me today. Then it was off to another room to change into the gowns they have which are suppose to help you not feel stupidly under-dressed when you are sitting on the exam table swinging your leg while impatiently waiting for them to come and do the pap already. Well, that was me today anyway.

Finally the doctor came in. She was nice enough although not as conservatively dressed as I expected. No matter. She did what she was there to do and asked me if I had a flu shot yet. I told her I'll take my chances on that but I would agree to a tetanus shot that I hadn't gotten in oh, about 30 years.

She pressed for a colonoscopy since I am over that golden age of 50. 50, the age when things start to go down hill. When it is time to get that which has delivered all the waste from my body these last 5o + years checked out for cancer and polyps and whatever else they look for. I stood my ground on that one. I'm sure I will get one eventually but I've been through enough today and she wasn't going to shove that up my butt too!



Oh...my mammo is scheduled for Oct 15th. I agreed to a bone density test too since that is another one of those things one over 50 or even younger so I'm told, get. I'm sure I'll blog after that fun day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment