Monday, October 26, 2009

Nice weekend....but sick furkid..


Had a great weekend with the youngest! We treated her boyfriend to dinner with us at our favorite restaurant, Saltgrass. We got a little shopping done on Saturday too and she and I had a nice brunch at IHOP on Sunday. It was suppose to be breakfast but we had to wait a while to get seated and after we ate I wasn't hungry until dinner so I consider that brunch. She called me when she got back to college which always makes me feel better. I can relax after I get that call. Made a new recipe for dinner Sunday night - Crab and Lobster cakes. Turned out very well. Hub said they were better than a restaurant~!

On a serious note, got a call from the vet about the blood tests Friday. Shelby (pictured here) may have several things wrong with her. Her blood sugar was over 500 and there was another level that was over 2000! I don't recall what that was but it normally is below 200. We have to give her insulin shots twice a day now and get her tested. Just like a person, have to find out what the correct level is for her. He had me practice the syringe on Shelby which I did, but hub said he'd give her the shots, which I'm happy about. For the most part he will, but I will do it once in a while so that I can do it if he is not around.

Once we get that under control, he can try to find out what else may be wrong. She is just the sweetest thing and has not had it real easy. We adopted her from a rescue in Atlanta after a couple didn't want her anymore after they had a baby. We were so happy to welcome her into our home! A loose dog attacked her in our old neighborhood and she had some bad puncture wounds. She recovered fine from that, but it just seems she started aging more rapidly than normal after that. She has a few other ailments already, including losing her sight which seem to be getting worse. She's got spirit though and so we're keeping our fingers crossed her health will improve and she will gain some weight!

______
Still managed to not turn on the heat. It is suppose to get down in the upper 40's tonight though so depending on how cold it is tomorrow morning I may be turning it on a bit then. We'll see. It is my work out day so I will warm up pretty quickly doing that and of course there is hot coffee. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment