Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday...the day of rest?

Here I am sitting at my desk like any other day, with a full work-load for the day. I know Sunday is suppose to be the 'day of rest' but perhaps that was meant for a simpler time. After all, this was handed down from biblical times when those who interpreted the meaning of this day, paid for things by trading and most or at least more than those today worked off the land, i.e., farmed or raised livestock to survive. So resting on Sunday was a rest for weary bones, muscles, and of course a time to worship for many religions.

Back then..there were no college tuition fees, car payment loans, credit cards, expensive weddings (even frugal weddings aren't cheap)...need I keep going? It is much harder today, at least for this mom, to ignore all that and just take the day off work, especially if it is available. I guess I am one of those that seek opportunities to have more money for any of these things, that I have a hard time not thinking about.

This was all brought about by a co-worker asking me how much work I was taking on this weekend. Well since none of the kids are coming home to visit, I'm of course working as much as I can. This response seemed to be met with surprise, but I look at it this way, I will do what I think is the best thing to do with my time, given the situation I am in. Am I a work-a-holic? I don't think so. If we won the lottery I would immediately work a lot less, nothing more than part-time. A work-a-holic's answer would be to absolutely keep working all the time! ;-)

I look toward the future and something that keeps me going is the fact that I may only have to 'work my butt off' for another 3 or 4 years...just to the point when my youngest is done college. By then, the car loans will be paid off and so will most of the other debt (fingers crossed). So...if I can afford NOT to work on the weekends, I intend to do so. After all there are things I would like to do. I still have a dream to be a singer and try to get some singing in every day so I don't totally lose my voice before I have time to give it a shot. I also want to volunteer to help with dogs more, perhaps at the local animal shelter. Maybe write some more mortgage ebooks or even a novel. Who knows? Until then...back to work.

..Oh so far I have 15 Yoplait yogurt lids saved for the cancer cure cause. Hope anyone reading this who eats yogurt is saving them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment