Sunday, April 1, 2012

Colon chat...

My sis is once again pressing me to get a colonoscopy as I am well over 50 and she is 3 years younger than I.  She had one and there were two polyps found so she is worried I may have some too. While I appreciate her concern,  a colonoscopy is one of those scans/tests that to me are prescribed for every single person so that the doctors can line their pockets. Used to be everyone that turned 50 did not need a colonoscopy but now every one does.  No one mentions though the risks of having one done; perforating the intestine, bleeding or infection.  True the risk is minimal (I've read .35% with no polyp removal up to 2.3% with polyp removal). The same place I found those stats, listed lifetime risk of getting colon cancer at 6%.  So that gives me 94% chance I will not ever get it. And so to me the risk is minimal and everyone does not need a colonoscopy at age 50 or nearing 55 either.   


I have researched causes of colon cancer, etc and interestingly enough, one of the things that can cause colon cancer is radiation.  Do you know one type of exposure to radiation?  Mammograms! No surprise there! I also read that the average age for those getting colon cancer is 64.  If this is the case, perhaps I will get one when I am 60.  I have read the tips to prevent from getting it, including no smoking, balanced diet, ideal weight, exercise...and all those things I do.  I am in just as good as shape (and weight) as in my mid 20's.  So I do care about my health in that I do everything to help prevent all cancers.Until I decide it is worth the risks to get one...I am sitting on the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment