Friday, April 24, 2015

Hit and Run...a state sport?

Okay I have to discuss something serious right now.  We just got done watching the news and once again in the Austin area there was a hit and run. I continue to be amazed (and not in a good way) at the frequency and amount of hit and runs in this area. I'm not sure if it is just this area or indicative of the whole 'GREAT?' state of Texas.  It is such a common occurance that I'm starting to wonder if it is the state's sport!?  I just cannot believe folks don't stop when they have an accident.  It isn't like they don't REALIZE they hit somebody.  If they don't that is even more scary.  I just don't get it.  Where is the moral fabric? 

There was also a report about how a man whose vehicle hit another vehicle that was waiting to turn at a busy road (where the speed limit is a ridiculous 70 MPH there- that is a whole other topic).  It was not hit and run I don't think (I am not positive)  but if not that is likely because his vehicle sustained damages as well.  Turns out two children died from the accident and more people are still in critical condition. Guess what?  The guy who hit them had been drinking and already had a record of at least two other times drinking and driving (not positive if DUI's) but really?  They were talking about how the accident could have been prevented, likely citing the 70 MPH speed limit but it could have been prevented if that man had his license permanently yanked by the 2nd drunk driving offense.  Poor guy?  How would he get around without a car?  He'd have to figure it out! That is called just punishment for driving drunk!  Just a bit miffed right now and shaking my head. 

I have been on that exact road that has the high speed limit and yes it is high but folks can still drive cautiously. The mindset about speed limits is interesting. The LIMIT is 7o MPH. It doesn't mean you have to drive 70 MPH, that is the MAXIMUM!  Most states I believe you can drive as slowly as 45-50 MPH on that stretch of road before getting pulled over because you are going too slow. I'm not saying everyone drive 45 MPH there but everyone can drive 55 MPH...no one is required to drive 70 MPH.  I bet that man who hit that poor family didn't have a clue how fast he was going anyway.

Guess all I can do is hope and pray that things improve and be always grateful that I don't have to commute to work.



No comments:

Post a Comment