Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Reminder

We got a reminder today that we live in TEXAS!

I was working this afternoon when I heard Ditzy barking very fiercly out back. It was not like her usual bark when she sees someone walking by or the dog next door outside .It was more of a frantic sort of bark.  Merlin was soon joining her and barking at something too.

Hubby rushed outside to investigate and walked over to a fairly large chuck of wood that we had on the cement platform. He jumped back. There in the crevice between the log and the fence was a rattle snake!!  It had a mouse hanging out from its mouth also as he saw a tail hanging out.  I didn't step outside at all!  But we got all the dogs to come in. Last thing I want is one of our dogs to get hurt or die from a snake bite!!

He got a long piece of wood that was nearby and kept stabbing at it.  He was able after several attempts to kill it and he got rid of both it and the dead mouse/rat? that was to be its afternoon meal.  Yuck!   I know we have snakes around here but I don't see them very often (thankfully) and tend to forget about them for the most part. 

I didn't think about it until well after then that we could have taken a few pictures.  But suffice to say it was there in the back yard.  I told hubby we should just get rid of that wood pile altogether, give it away or something. We never use the fireplace and if all that is going to be is a hideaway for snakes, I'd rather NOT chance the dogs getting killed. 

Well now that I have the heebie-jeebies all over again, going to go in the living room where it is relatively safe.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment