Monday, August 17, 2015

Can't give it away

This weekend I took out a little time to take stock of the medical supplies that were left over from dad's house that were not used.  There are: 1 unopened box of 30 '14 FR' Urinary Catheters, 3 boxes with 12 each - Red latex catheters, 12 Foley catheters, 100 swabsticks, 4 - Foley insertion trays, 4- Urinary Drainage Bags, 2- Latex free urinary Drainage bags and 4 - urinary leg bags. These must be at least a couple hundred dollars worth if not more.  I called a place down in Austin that someone told me should take these unopened supplies and they weren't interested. The man I talked to suggested I contact some local assisted living or elder care places.  I posted on Facebook instead to see if anyone could use them or know a local place that could use them.  I don't have a lot of time to call places.  I did call one place that a gal let me know may take them as she worked there part-time.  It is an assisted living type of place.  The person I got the name to contact was not there but I asked someone else if they might be interested.  The answer I got was that the nurses that come bring their own supplies.

It is very frustrating when all I am doing is trying to help out someone who may be able to use these supplies and not just waste them by throwing them out!  I get that people tend to be leary, but once they would see the unopened boxes and wrapped up catheters and bags, they could see they have not been tampered with nor used.  I'll give it a couple more day and see what happens.  If it goes over another week with no interest I'll just throw all these supplies out.  That would be a shame though.  So we'll see what happens.

On a more pleasant note, we are getting estimates to get the last two bathrooms done.  I'm excited to get them done. Then it will seem like we practically have a new house :-) . Hubby's already replaced the flooring in the living room, and two of the three bedrooms.  His buddy at Christmas built up our stairs and replaced the carpet on them and the upstairs hallway. And I've posted before about the improvements we did to the kitchen which I think at this point was about 7 years ago now, maybe not but it has been awhile since we got the granite countertops, sink and stove. 

So something to look forward to as the fall season approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment