Thursday, August 20, 2015

Foot in mouth

Don't you just hate when you put your foot in your mouth?.. Well I should have anyway (put my foot there!!).  We have a neighbor who was so very nice to us by coming to my dad's funeral and he has been out of town for over 2 weeks, perhaps 3 and just came back a few days ago. His father has been in a coma and he was likely on his last days.

This evening he called and I asked him if his father met his maker.  I didn't mean to be glib, it was just that I thought he had passed a little while ago because I figured he was gone so long because there was the funeral and estate settlement or at least put in motion.  Well no he was calling because his father just passed away a few hours ago and he had to go out of town again and wondered if we could watch their dog.  I didn't know that as I had hung up shortly after he called ..but not before I stuck my foot in my mouth!

Hubby picked up the phone at the same time so I had hung up after a few minutes.  When he told me later that this guy's dad had just died a few hours ago I called him up to apologize.  I didn't want to sound like I didn't have a heart.  I honestly thought it had been nearly a month since his dad passed. Oops.. He was fine and said he didn't think anything of my comment.   Oh well.  I did tell him I was sincerely sorry before I hung up.  Next time I won't be so quick to speak before thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment