Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Dog Ads

I was just looking at Craigslist as I sometimes do and was looking under 'dogs' in the community section.  There were several ads for dogs needing to be re-homed.  It really gets to me sometimes to read the reason for giving up someone's pet. This is a dog they may have had for a year or several years that did nothing but love them to pieces.   The excuses for getting rid of them ranged from...working too many hours (so what, your dog will get used to it and love you all the more when you get home), moving to another place (and why can't you find a place that allows dogs?, yes even Pits). I'm not saying it is easy but there are surely places out there that will allow them.

I'm sure there are reasons which are understandable. One of my kid's had a dog that kept getting out and running around a busy street, and her husband (at that time) didn't want the dog to be indoors, at least that was the impression I got. So she found her a nice home that was in a safe area and for that I commend her as I know it was hard for her to do it, but her poor dog would have likely ended up hurt or worse.

I myself had to find a home for a sheltie I had with my ex when we were splitting up.  He gave no indication that he wanted to keep her and I was moving to an apartment with my toddler and first grader that did not take dogs.  I checked out one complex that did take dogs but the quality of them were subpar and the area was not ideal. That particular time I had to think of my children first.  It broke my heart that I had to give Lady away but she did go to a great home and I actually got to visit her a time or two with her new owners.

So I guess until I put myself in the person's shoes who are trying to re-home their dogs, I don't know the entire story. But it is just sad to me that more people don't try a little harder to keep their dogs. I just hope that every dog that needs to be re-homed end up in their forever home.

No comments:

Post a Comment