Monday, October 14, 2013

Bracing myself?

Remember, I went to a new (to me) dentist last month to get long overdue cleaning done, but I really
went because I had a tooth that was bothering me.  Otherwise I still probably would
not have gone yet to the dentist.
 
Anyway this dentist is wonderful, caring and attentive!  Wow.  Who woulda thunk?
She partially cleaned my teeth, did the rest this morning and I am now fitted for a
temporary crown as well while waiting for my new crown, which will be tooth color
and already I am happy because the temporary crown looks so much better than
how my tooth looked before with the dark metal (old filling) showing every time I
smiled.

 

I told my dentist something else that has been bothering me.  It has bothered me
that my front tooth (crown) sticks out more than
my natural (other front tooth
next to it). Also it is longer than my natural tooth, which
I chalked up to just
aging and using my teeth for several years since getting that crown.
I am self-conscious about it and don’t like to smile with my mouth open because of
it.
 
She saw my dilemma but also pointed out to me that the reason the crowned front tooth
sticks out is that it has been hitting one of my lower teeth that are crowded. So one of my bottom teeth being out of line pushes against my upper tooth every time I clamp down. Wow, I never
really thought about that. She suggested I may want to consult with an orthodontist. 
What? Orthodontist? Me?  Been there..done that..30 years ago.  She told me that she
has some patients in there 70’s that wear them.  So I suddenly retracted my dismissal
of the whole idea.
She also pointed out that my teeth angle inward and that is causing cracks on my
molars because I am biting more on the side of them (crunch after crunch), and that
causing cracks, not good.  ((I’m sure it doesn’t help that all of my molars have fillings and a few
have crowns, so they are already weakened due to that fact (that is me stating this
fact, she didn’t point that out)).
I didn’t realize that angled teeth causes trouble)!  So their office called the Orthodontist office near by to see about a free consultation. They actually could get me in right away, so I headed on over there.  Not exactly excited spending half my day off at dental offices but hey I was off so decided to go for it.
 

So here's the scoop.
I am a good candidate for the Invisalign braces for my teeth, which is a good
thing because I don’t want to go the full metal mouth route.  That I would probably not
opt for. 

The cost is close to $6 grand. Oye. So now it is decision time. I can see how it will help my teeth
in the long run, and I can get the crown replaced after they are all straight with one that
will stay in place. Or actually I’m going to ask my dentist if I can’t just get my shorter
(natural) front tooth veneered or bonded to lengthen it and leave my existing crown as is,
and make
my natural tooth to match (which would save me the cost of getting a new crown).

They will accept monthly payments which would help and I guess I am just struggling with 
the question of do I want to spend $6 Grand on getting my teeth straightened out at age
56?  I just didn’t think I’d ever get braces again. I went through the whole thing when I was 12-13,
getting 4 teeth pulled first, then the braces, rubber bands, retainer, etc.  This of course would
be easier with those invisible braces, but do I want to spend the money? Decisions, decisions...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment