Monday, October 21, 2013

Ewww!

Merlin caught a squirrel this evening and ate the head off of it!  Ewwww!! 

He has never done that in his 6 1/2 years, in fact none of our shelties ever killed and ate any animal.  Hubby saw him chewing on something and holding it in his paws and he ran down and got the rest of it with a shovel that we disposed of.  Gross!  Hopefully he  will be fine thinking about bones mostly. It is just a dog's natural instinct to kill and eat I know so I am hopeful there won't be any issues. He's sleeping like a baby right now.  We didn't yell at him or anything because again, it is a natural thing for dogs.  But I just never thought it would happen.

Hubby said he saw him watching the squirrel from one of the back steps he likes to hang out on. I guess he took it by surprise because like I said I've seen him chase lots of squirrels up a tree but never actually caught one.  I actually thought they were more like his play friends because they seem to tease him from way up on the wires.  Guess they are no longer friends when he actually catches one!

I had a hard time eating dinner as this was right before then.  But I managed.  Oye!  I do hope it doesn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment